Thursday 5 July 2012

Counts as: or how I learned to stop worrying and learned to love Allies

Thursday Theories


Once upon a time (every day) there was an argument on the internet about that most wonderful of "Abuses" known as Counts as. This argument is based on the concept of people modeling and painting (or not, in the case of some lazy prats) armies of one type to be used as another. Examples of which are Orks with trenchcoats and tanks to be used as imperial guard (Blood Axes Clan), or World Eater Chaos space marines using the blood angles codex. The arguments center on, If you wantt to play the army you should just use the correct models, and HOW DARE YOU USE THAT RHINO AS A CHIMERA BY PUTTING LAS-GUNS OUT ITS ASS!
Needless to say, this disagreement is a big deal to some people.
First off, I personally throw down on the "If it's modeled and painted correctly, then props on the effort, that looks awesome and hell yes you should be able to play it" side. I believe people who have put time and effort into awesome conversions (or attempts to make awesome conversions) should be rewarded, and honestly, it's a game and people should play it how ever they want. On the flip side, if you are using a coke can as a Land Raider, then you need to be pushed down some tall tall stairs and I hope your broken body drowns in a puddle of urine at the bottom.
Proxies are a whole different ball of yarn, one day I'll throw down on that topic I'm sure.
I'm a complicated creature.

So where am I going with this? (OMG Mr.Strawman, I've missed you... Never leave me again)

With the new edition of Warhammer 40k I firmly believe we will be seeing a VERY large upswing in how much of these armies we'll be seeing. Why?
Because of the new Allies rules.
Essentially every army (even Tyranids, I'll explain that little bugbear in a second) has access to other Codex's/Codecii/Condominiums.. what what? in the form of detachments. Smaller allied armies drawn from other army books that can be used to varying strengths within your core army. Picture Imperial Guard armies with a character and a couple squads of Blood Angels for use as a forward assault element. This is AWESOME. I love it on so many levels it's hard to describe. Nutella Cupcakes with minicream puff toppers served by fuzzy puppies comes somewhere close. Anyways, this is part and parcel of the rules now and will be seen on almost every gaming table at some point.

What does that have to do with "Counts as"? (wow, mr.Strawman, I'm not sure I like the new attitude... Kinda mean.. :( )
Allow me to explain:
You may all remember a little article I wrote about Theme in roleplaying games. Well theme is also a major issue in wargaming. It's the whole reason we play an army. We like the concept it has, whether it's play style, look, or sheer hardness on the tabletop, we all play our chosen army because of its theme. Now, for the truly unoriginal (or lazy, or time restricted, etc.), Allies pose no problem. Paint up a squad of Necrons to throw in your unstoppable army or Blood Angels and away you go. But for the thematic (inspired, awesome, etc.) player, Allies is our excuse to create something unique and amazing.
I don't want Necrons in my army, but WOW that Triarch Spider model is awesome.  But what if I were to go slightly MAD?
Few are as C.R.AZY as Mr.Busey
What if I were to convert those Necrons and that sweet sweet Triarch Spider model into Adeptus Mechanicus? Well that would fit into my Blood Angels (or Imperial Guard) army without any issues at all. Now you see how the "Counts as" conundrum comes into play. I'm not the only one who's going to want to add crazy models into my army and convert them into something even more crazy. I'm one of many.
So at the end of the day, the "Count as" issue just became a whole lot worse, because Allies detachments just opened up a whole can of worms for the artistic and their opponents. Many people are going to be carrying around more than one codex now, and many of those players are going to want to do something crazy with those models.

But what about Tyranids who don't get any allies, Mr.Smartypants? (you know what Mr.Strawman, I've had just about enough of your lip...)
WEEEELLLLLLL... I'm sure many of you Tyranid players are bemoaning your inability to ally with anyone because you decided to play the anti-social wall-flower-devourer in the game. ALL IS NOT LOST BRETHREN (objectively speaking... I only like you for your genestealers and your sex cults).
I'm sure you remember a little game called Starcraft? Of course you do (GW does, just ask their IP agents).
In that game there is such as thing as the infested Marine?
Awesome
Well, if everyone else gets Allies, why can't you? Cause really F*** the rules.  If you go through the trouble of converting and painting up an army of infested marines(Chaos or Space Marines) to use with your Tyranids (or use Obliterators/Nurgle marines painted appropriately) I'm not going to stop you. And if you went through the trouble of making a Genestealer cult (Imperial Guard) with hybrids, purestrains, patriarchs and maguses I will leap the table and hug you. And maybe even buy you cake.

Anyone who does otherwise needs a slap in the face, because 40k is a GAME and we're meant to ENJOY it.

So go out there and enjoy it. I know I will.

Till next time,
Keep your putty tool wet.
Bean out~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...