Saturday 28 July 2012

Life without focus: Maq Exposure

Hey there reader!
Right off the bat, I'm just gonna go out and throw this out there: don’t expect too much in the way or organization/regularity from me. While I’ve been a hobbyist for a good umpteen 20 years, it’s been a pretty crazy trip with a whole lot of enthusiastic buggery and just jumping into things randomly and picking up new skills as I go along. The upside of things is that I’ve had the opportunity to expand the old repertoire. Keep in mind though, that the majority of my focus in this hobby has been in the creative side with there not being much traction in the actual completion side of things… Since the ol’ Beaner (a good friend for the past 10+ years now) has asked if I were interested in contributing anyway, I will be pretty much chiming in on random subjects as they come to me! Hopefully, my lack of focus and general fluffing about will be of some interest and use... In fact, that's what I'm gonna call these entries: Life without Focus!


Pretty much me, 80% of the time... Just wanting to do everything all at once... I can't be the only one, right?

With that out of the way, and a still glaring lack of any real subject in mind, I’ll start off with the subject this blog brought out of me: Photography! As hobbyists, most of us lack the excess budget to just jump head first into such an investment solely for the purpose of taking pictures of our little toys. More likely than not, we’ll be re-purposing the cameras that are already owned by other members of the family or another unit that would have been bought for social photography, etc. Since there’s no way I could advise everyone on every system they own and operate, I’ll go middle of road and let you guys apply any valid points to the system you own.

Fujifilm x100, My go to tool when I feel snappy...


As far as hobby based photography goes, we rarely have to worry about capturing the “action” as it happens, which to be honest, saves us a lot of the grief with regards to worrying about selecting a sufficient shutter speed to eliminate motion blur! With that out of the way, we’re generally reduced to finding a nice balance between light exposure, field of focus, and composition. With that in mind, lets break things down into a few simple categories.
  • Catching the Light (Shutter Speeds/ISO)
  • Directing the Gaze (Aperture/Focus)
  • Setting the Scene (Composition)

 Over the next duration, I'll go through these subjects and offer up a few tips and points that will hopefully help you figure out how to get that little bit extra out of each photo you take. For now though, you get nothing! Come back later when I'm off my lazy butt and actually have something completed for you to read...

- Maqma

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...