Thursday 8 August 2013

Family




I recently got in a discussion with some of my friends at my weekly war machine night on the social aspect of our hobby. I’m not talking about the playing of the game but rather the interactions between people. There is the obvious conversation about “that does that?!?” or “how did you do that again”, but there is the other parts such as “how’s life” or “how did your road trip go?” and recently “I’m sorry to hear about your lose”.



In my little group I honestly get the feeling that we do care about what happens to each other. In a recent game of hordes at my LGS my opponent sat down and prepared to throw the first dice when I got a call from my girlfriend in tears. As it turned out that she just got news from her mom that her dad had found a spot on one of his lungs. She was in tears and of course being the kind of guy I am I was concerned. I was shaken and my opponent saw that and asked what was up. He told me to pack up my kit and head home a.s.a.p.; he understood what was going on and no foul. He checked in on me a couple of days later to make sure how we were doing. The following games night we ended up playing our game and he informed me after during the point tally that our earlier game didn’t count. He didn’t have to do that and we all know players that would have insisted on taking the previous game as a win. Not too long ago another of merry band of misfits let me know that him and his girlfriend had gotten into a little fight and he wasn’t sure what was waiting for him at home. In a heartbeat I offered the couch at my place if he needed it. When I dropped him off I told him that the cellphone was on 24\7 and if he needed me I would be there to pick him up. When I got home I got a call from my gaming buddy that things were a lot better and he appreciated the offer.

I guess what I’m trying to saying in not so elegant words is that after a while our gaming groups become more then the fellows, and ladies we roll dice with, they become more like extended family. I socialize with my warma\hordes group regularly, we go to movies, have bbq’s, heck some of our little ones babysit each other. I know if I ever need someone to talk to my group would be there to listen. I don’t know what your group is like but I’m pretty lucky to have mine.


Until next time boys and girls…


Webbie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...