Tuesday 29 January 2013

Conversion VS. Creation

Behind the Screens

Some people have asked me why I've chosen to create my own system instead of just converting a system I like over to my uses. The answer is simply Control. While There are plenty of gaming systems out there, and I'm sure there is a system that does everything I want and more, I don't have the time, nor the inclination, to go searching. I've been Roleplaying for 20+ years now and in all those years I've never found a system that does all I want.

So why not just ADD what I want to a system I like?
I'm not a fan of adding to another game system as people will, no matter how good their intentions, pick at the homebrew stuff and snipe at it as it's not canon. Plus I may end up selling this some day (ahhh the great hope fo every writer ever...).

In truth, Ashes is a rather hodgepodge system as it stands. I've borrowed and stolen from half a dozen other systems, tinkered with the mechanics and made it purr just the way I want it to. All checks are made on two ten sided dice (2d10), and you simply have to roll under your stat after pluses and minuses are taken into account. This goes for virtually everything. It's simple, direct and to the point. No averaged target numbers. No arbitrary limits. The limits are just how good a players stats are and no more. Elegant is a word I've been told fits the system.

I couldn't have been more tickled at hearing that, as nothing detracts from a game as heavily as clunky mechanics.

Hopefully I'll have some of my rules up for dissection for you all in the next little while.

until next time,
Keep on rolling.
Bean out~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...