Tuesday 19 June 2012

Weathering Forcast

Tutorial Tuesday

So I bought some weathering powders from Vallejo recently. I've been eyeing them for a while now and during my last visit to my FLGS I thought to meself "Meself... Time to shit or get off the pot". Well after I got out of the bathroom I finally plunked down and bought a few of them. I purchased:

  1. Green Earth
  2. Carbon Black
  3. Dark Slate Grey
  4. Burnt Sienna
  5. Natural Sienna
  6. Light Sienna
 As well as the Vallejo Winter Weathering Set (as it said weathering on the cover, showed a tank and looked neat).
WARNING: THIS PRODUCT CONTAINS NO PIGMENTS. I'm just stupid and was all "BUYBUYBUY". On the plus side it does have Sandy Paste, which is awesome fun, and assorted useful paints... So it was not a waste.
In addition I purchased some assorted other products of a "ooh shiny" status that I had never used before but wanted to try out :
  • Liquid masque
  • Micro set and Micro Sol
  • Army Painter battlefields tufts, razorwire, meadow flowers (!), ivy, Grass Green Flock

As well as a few other sundry items of a hobbyist nature (Plastic Card, Knife Blades, Green stuff, Paints, etc.)

I shall endeavor to tell you all how all of these things have gone for me, possibly in review style. For now...
The WEATHING POWDERS.



First things first: WHY ON EARTH DID I NOT USE THESE BEFORE LAST NIGHT?
Seriously.. I'm in awe at how awesome they are. The effects you can achieve are mind-boggling and so freaking simple it's astounding. For Serious.
Mind Blown!
Second things second (yay I can count!): To use Weathering Powders you only need a few things.
  1. Some old brushes. you will want to use old brushes because i can see the powders messing up ones favorite brushes easily... especially due to the application process you'll be using.
  2. 99% Isopropyl Alcohol (don't get the cheap(er) less pure stuff. It has junk it it that will effect your final finish and won't dry correctly.
  3. Some Paper (to put down as it can be a messy process. Additionally, if you have paper down you can simply take the powder you end up spreading all over your paper mat BACK INTO THE POT so you'll get to keep using the powders longer.)
  4. Weathering powders (Duh!)
  5. Completed model (Powders should be the final stage after all other paintable weathering is completed)
And now for the fun part...

Step 1: Take one of your Brushes and dip it into the Isopropyl. Then proceed to "paint" the alcohol onto your models surface that you want to be dusted (base, kneepads, cracks and crevices where dust and rust would accumulate, etc.). The alcohol evaporates really quickly so it won't stain your model, but it acts as a binder to keep the powders attached to your model.

Step 2: Take a different brush, pick up some powder with it and "Dab" the powder onto the surface you wish it to be on. Remember you are not painting the powder on... you want it to fall naturally onto your model and fill into the spaces you need it to go. Feel free to push the powders around so they fall into where you need them to go.
This step can be repeated multiple times to create various levels of buildup.

Step 3: Let the alcohol dry, then Repeat steps 1 and 2.
Seriously, that is it.

The use of multiple pigments of the powders will build up a realistic layer into the areas you wish it, as well as provide a light dusting to other areas on the model as well, which simulates, quite realistically, the dusting the model would receive in real life. When combined with standard paint-on weathering effects the finished product can be astounding.

Now I fully admit that I am brand new to this, and much experimentation will be needed to master this new tool, but for a First Time use, I am incredibly happy with the results.

For Further reference on the use of Powders I direct you to the following blogs:
From the Warp: Weathering Powders Part 1, Part 2
And to Minighool

Allow me to show you what I did last night with my Cateran Sniper Model for Infinity:

pretty pretty flowers...

That buildings had a hard time of it...
Isn't he loverly?
Please note: Yes I realize his shoulder with the 8ball on it is shiny. This is because I was also trying out the Micro Set and Micro Sol decal solutions (the 8ball is a Decal) and they advise you apply the solution/decals to a glossy varnished surface. Also note that the Tufts of grass, the Ivy and the little Flowers are the Army Painter battlefields products I noted as purchasing earlier as well. I'll be doing reviews of these products at some point in the future, but suffice to say, I am a fan.

Also Note: The base was painted Scorched brown, drybrushed Kommando Khaki. The Brick was painted Mechrite Red, the mortar and everything concrete was painted Charadon Granite drybrushed with white, and the stucco was painted vallejo Tan Earth. The flooring was painted black and white checkers. That's it. all variation was achieved via weathering powders.


So that's my pseudo-review for Vallejo powders (They are awesome!) and that's also it for this week. Hope you all Enjoyed, and of course Comments and Criticism are both enjoyed and hoped for!
Till next time,
Don't drink the (paint) water!
Bean out~

2 comments:

  1. Decals set better on glossy surfaces due to there not being texture for air to get trapped in~ Just an FYI on the theory behind that recommendation.

    Photography tip: you need better lighting and focus is off, so if you've got the pixel res, back off a little with the camera and just crop the photo to a smaller more focused size~ Also see about using a lamp to add extra lighting on the side to help brighten things up. If you're getting harsh shadows, take a 2 ply tissue and seperate them so you've got 1 ply only, and tape the tissue over your light source to act as a difuser. It won't suddenly make your pics awesome, but it should help a bit.

    I've got a bunch of pigments at home, but no 99% Alcohol.. Best I've been able to find in HK is 75%... I've been messing around a bit with paint dilution lately and found that I can kinda get a nice difused, dusty look with just paint(khaki) and a lot of matt medium mixed thin... Give it some coverage, so it might be a cheaper way to get broad coverage dust results without resorting to using the nice pigments too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew about the decal/glossy surface. hence why I put it in there.
    and to be brutally honest, i really dont think the pics will get better. I only have my 4yr old (and almost dead) Iphone 3gs to take pics. so yeaaaaaah, phone cam pics are generally pooooo. I'm toying with it to see if I can't get better pics though. I'll try out the suggestions and see whats what.

    I'm definitely going to try out that idea with the matt medium mix (I believe i have a couple bottles floating around), and I'll let you know how my results come out... Though I am now a super lover of the pigment powders. I may need to get myself a room with a heart-shaped bed just for them...
    >.>

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...